Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting (Makes 24 Cupcakes)
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups Dang Coconut Chips
- Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup Dang Coconut Chips
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line two12-cup standard muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer, cream the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time until just combined. Add the vanilla and coconut extracts.
- Add the buttermilk and the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix. Mix in the coconut chips.
- Fill the cupcake liners two-thirds full with batter. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on wire racks before frosting.
- Keep the oven on.
- For the frosting: Using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until light and smooth. Add the vanilla, and then slowly add the confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time until thoroughly incorporated.
- To assemble: Frost the cupcakes generously with about 4 tablespoons of frosting. Garnish with the toasted coconut chips.